“When you help us, you help our community.”
Some of our neighbors need help with basic resources that most people take for granted, like clothes, food, and hygiene items. When you donate your gently used items to the Bakersfield Homeless Center, you are directly helping our most vulnerable neighbors rebuild their lives.
When a family is able to move out of our shelter and into their own home, they often need just about everything. We accept nearly all types of household items that are clean and in good condition. Examples of needed items include:
- Perishable/Non-perishable Food – canned and fresh vegetables/fruit, boxed meals, baby formula, coffee/tea, flour, sugar, snack food
- Clothing – all genders and sizes of shirts and pants, under* and outer wear, shoes, socks. *All socks and underwear must be new, in the package for sanitary purposes.
- Baby Items – cribs, highchair, all sizes of diapers and pull-ups, wipes, toys, car seats, strollers, bottles
- Hygiene Items – masks, hand sanitizer, full-size shampoo, body soap, deodorant, lotion, razors, feminine supplies
- Furniture/Appliances – table, couch, chairs, mattress sets, dressers, lamps, cabinets, pictures, refrigerator, toasters, stove, microwave, washer/dryer
- Towels and Bedding – Bath/Hand towels & washcloths, sheet sets, blankets, pillows
- Household Goods – pots/pans, dishes, cutlery, mixing bowls, vacuums, cleaning supplies
- Seasonal Needs – Bathing suits, robes, gloves, hats, turkey, ham, pie
- Miscellaneous – movies, iron/ironing board, toys, school supplies, office supplies, art supplies, make up, hair care, books.
Items we do not accept: medical equipment, sporting equipment, exercise equipment, medications, or any items with rips or stains.
We do not resell donations. Items are given to clients, community members, or are used on campus. If there are items that cannot be used, we will find another organization that can. The only exception is with electronic items that cannot be used; we will call a recycling agency who may give us a small amount for the items.
To double-check if we can accept an item or to schedule a pick up for large furniture items, please call us at 661-322-9199.
The Bakersfield Homeless Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, and gifts may be tax-deductible. Donation receipts are provided upon request at the time of drop off.
The BHC Donation Center is located at 1600 East Truxtun Avenue and is open Monday – Friday from 8:00am – 5:00pm and Saturday from 8:00am – 4:00pm.
Give by Mail
When you purchase and send donation items through Amazon Smile, you are increasing your impact. Amazon will donate a portion of your purchase directly to us when you select Bethany Service, Inc.
Bakersfield Homeless Center
1600 E. Truxtun Avenue
Bakersfield, CA 93305